Mushroom Description Pages
Building pages for the many different kinds of macro-fungi in the Chicago area. These are examples of the first species pages. There are also higher level pages from Kingdom down to genus. For example: Cantharellus, Hypocrea, Stereum, and Trametes. For all of the fungi pages see the Guide Site Map.
- Camarops petersii
- Cantharellus chicagoensis New Species!
- Pseudoinonotus dryadeus
- Punctularia strigosozonata
- Sporophagomyces, the spore-eating fungus, New!
There are 21 Orders for the Class Agaricomycetes (the mushroom forming fungi). Half of these groups were described after the start of DNA analysis, many of them within the last ten years, as multigene methods improved. Check out who's who in these pages below.
- Auriculariales 1897
- Phallales 1898
- Agaricales 1899
- Cantharellales 1926
- Polyporales 1926
- Boletales 1931
- Thelephorales 1976
- Hymenochaetales 1977
- Atheliales 1981
- Gomphales 1981
- Russulales 2001
- Sebacinales 2004
- Geastrales 2006
- Corticiales 2007
- Gloeophyllales 2007
- Hysterangiales 2007
- Trechisporales 2007
- Amylocorticiales 2010
- Jaapiales 2010
- Lepidostromatales 2014
- Stereopsidales 2014
Highlights from other websites
The April 2017 issue of Chicago Magazine has a feature article on Patrick: Do You Know the Mushroom Man? Also see side article: Where to Go Mushroom Hunting In and Around Chicago.
Presentations in 2018 by Patrick
- July 11: Hiles Foray with Wisconsin Mycological Society.
Presentations in 2017 by Patrick
- March 11: Public discussion at The Backroom - A pop-up bar.
- June 3: Mushroom class at the Morton Arboretum.
- June 20: Slushies and Science event at Sidetrack in Lakeview with Field Museum scientists.
- June 24: Mushroom workshop with Illinois Mycological Association and Wisconsin Mycological Society.
- September 7-10: Chief Mycologist at NAMA Foray, Wisconsin.
- December 4: Illinois Mycological Association - year in review
Presentations in 2016 by Patrick
- March 7: Illinois Mycological Association - Scientific Names
- May 7: Shifting Sands: On the Path to Sustainability - Panel Discussion. Event details also on Facebook.
- Workshops for the Illinois Mycological Association
- July 5: Mycological Association of Washington DC - chanterelles Report in newsletter PDF
- July 11: Illinois Mycological Association - chanterelles
- September 1-4: Foray in Cable, Wisconsin
- September 8-11: NAMA Foray, Virginia - All about name changes
- December 5: Illinois Mycological Association - year in review
Presentations in 2015 by Patrick
- January 31: Sixth Biennial Wild Things Conference
- February 18: Wisconsin Mycological Society
- February 20: School of the Art Institute, Chicago, 2 classes on mushroom ecology
- March 26: Homewood Izaak Walton Preserve
- May 14, 15: Fungi display at Field Museum Members' Nights.
Workshops for the Illinois Mycological Association
- May 31: Mushrooms I and trees
- June 14: Mushrooms II and keys
- July 5: Habitats and Trees
- August 2: Mapping your location
- August 9: Collecting and Describing
- July 25: Wisconsin Mycological Society, Northwoods Foray
- August 4: Summer camp field trip
- September 6: Mushroom Show at Chicago Botanic Garden
- September 13: West Cook Wild Ones
- September 24–27: NAMA Blue Ridge Foray 2015
- October 4: Red Oak Nature Center, mushroom talk and walk
- October 24: University of Chicago, class field trip, mushroom ecology
- October 26, 28: School of the Art Institute, Chicago, 2 classes on mushroom ecology
- December 5: McHenry County - Research Roundup
- December 7: Illinois Mycological Association, year in review