North American Mycoflora
North American Mycoflora Project
The North American Mycoflora Project is a collaboration between professional mycologists and citizen scientists to identify and map the distribution of macrofungi throughout North America. It allows the scientific community to tap into the vast amount of knowledge and data amassed by individuals and mycology clubs, and can provide a new focus for amateur efforts. Key components of this project include careful documentation and preparation of specimens (vouchering), depositing these specimens in a herbarium, and DNA sequencing to complement the morphological observations that amateur mycologists already use.
The North American Mycoflora Project is a joint project of NAMA (see below) and the Mycological Society of America [Facebook Group]. The goal is a massive effort for working toward a North American Mycoflora for Macrofungi. Tom Bruns, U.C. Berkeley.
The first workshop meeting was held July 2012. Each of the presentations are available as PDF or video. Patrick Leacock gave an invited presentation comparing the NAMA Voucher Project with the Chicago Region research.
Online tools and resources that will be integrated with the Mycoflora Project include the following.
- Mycology Collections data Portal (MyCoPortal)
- Mushroom Observer photo archive [Facebook Group]
- MycoBank taxonomy database
- Index Fungorum Search Page
- Discover Life
- Illinois Mycobiota for the Chicago Region
- California: The Mycota of Santa Cruz County
- California: Point Reyes and Yosemite
- Alberta Mycological Society Fungal Database
- Alaska: Interview with Kate Mohatt
North American Mycological Association
The North American Mycological Association promotes, pursues, and advances the science of mycology. NAMA has 78 affiliated clubs and 2,000 amateur mycologist members. It holds annual and regional forays: the 2017 foray is planned for Wisconsin. [Facebook Group].
The NAMA Voucher Collection Project documents and preserves collections from the annual forays. Photographs from the recent forays are available on Mushroom Observer.
- North American lichen checklist, names, synonyms.
- North American Fungi publishes articles.
- Category: Fungi of North America on Wikipedia.