in Engler & Prantl, Natürl. Pflanzenfam.: 343 (1897)
Type: Hypocrea Fr. 1825
This order has 7 families plus 13 genera of uncertain placement (incertae sedis). The genus names listed below are those macro-fungi known in the Chicago Region. Doubtless there are other micro-fungi or plant parasites found here, for example, Nectria forms cankers on trees.
- Bionectriaceae (Nectriopsis)
- Clavicipitaceae (Claviceps)
- Cordycipitaceae (Cordyceps, Isaria anamorph)
- Hypocreaceae (Hypocrea, Hypomyces)
- Nectriaceae (Nectria)
- Ophiocordycipitaceae (Elaphocordyceps)
- Uncertain placement (13 genera)
- Note that the false-truffle parasite Cordyceps ophioglossoides has been moved to Elaphocordyceps in a separate family with Ophiocordyceps, which grow on insects.
- Related links:
- Nectria cankers are one type included in this discussion of Canker diseases, The Morton Arboretum.
- Taxon links:
- 90477 MycoBank ; Index Fungorum