Persoonia 3 (2): 287 (1964)
Type: Punctularia Pat., Bulletin de l´Herbier Boissier 3: 57 (1895)
In 1958 Talbot proposed that Punctularia may need its own family. Donk created this family in 1964 but it was not accepted initially. The family was recognized by Binder et al. (2005) but was not mentioned by Hibbet et al. (2007) when the Order Corticiales was created. Later DNA analysis confirmed the family can be separated from the Corticiaceae (see Ghobad-Nejhad et al. 2010). The family contains three genera, two listed below (widespread) plus Punctulariopsis (South America, Africa).
- Some authors, as well as Index Fungorum and Mycobank, do not accept this family but put Dendrocorticium and Punctularia in the Corticiaceae.
- Related links:
- Wikipedia: Punctulariaceae.
- Donk, M.A. 1964. A conspectus of the families of Aphyllophorales. Persoonia. 3(2):199-324 PDF available here [18.5 MB PDF]
- Ghobad-Nejhad et al. 2010. Phylogeny and taxonomy of the genus Vuilleminia (Basidiomycota) based on molecular and morphological evidence, with new insights into Corticiales. Taxon 59(5): 1519-1534. Note: available for download on Research Gate.
- Taxon links:
- 81315 MycoBank ; Index Fungorum