Icones fungorum hucusque cognitorum 5: 25 (1842)
Type: Geastrum Pers. 1794
This family is dominated by the earthstars in Geastrum. The other genera consist of one or a few species. In the Chicago Region we have 9 species of Geastrum and the unusual Myriostoma coliforme.
- Geasteroides texensis (Texas)
- Geastrum (many species)
- Mesophelliopsis pernambucensis (Brazil)
- Myriostoma coliforme (worldwide)
- Nidulariopsis (2 species)
- Phialastrum barbatum (Europe)
- Pyrenogaster (Pyrenogastraceae)
- Radiigera (western North America)
- The genera Schenella and Sphaerobolus have been moved out to their own families.
- Related links:
- Trial field key to the Lycoperdaceae & Geastraceae in the Pacific Northwest. 2003. Pacific Northwest Key Council
- P. Ponce de Leon. 1968. A revision of the family Geastraceae. Fieldiana Botany Volume 31, Number 14. Text file at Archive.org
- R. Henrik Nilssonb and E. Larssonb. 2013. European earthstars in Geastraceae (Geastrales, Phallomycetidae) – a systematic approach using morphology and molecular sequence data. Systematics and Biodiversity 11: 437-465.
- Taxon links:
- 80791 MycoBank ; Index Fungorum