This family is dominated by the earthstars in Geastrum. The other genera consist of one or a few species. In the Chicago Region we have 9 species of Geastrum and the unusual Myriostoma coliforme.
- Geasteroides texensis (Texas)
- Geastrum (many species)
- Mesophelliopsis pernambucensis (Brazil)
- Myriostoma coliforme (worldwide)
- Nidulariopsis (2 species)
- Phialastrum barbatum (Europe)
- Pyrenogaster (Pyrenogastraceae)
- Radiigera (western North America)
Taxon Details and Links
- Geastraceae , Icones fungorum hucusque cognitorum 5: 25 (1842). Type: Geastrum Pers. 1794.
- The genera Schenella and Sphaerobolus have been moved out to their own families.
- Trial field key to the Lycoperdaceae & Geastraceae in the Pacific Northwest. 2003. Pacific Northwest Key Council
- P. Ponce de Leon. 1968. A revision of the family Geastraceae. Fieldiana Botany Volume 31, Number 14. DOI: 10.5962/bhl.title.2389 [Text file at Archive.org]
- R. Henrik Nilssonb and E. Larssonb. 2013. European earthstars in Geastraceae (Geastrales, Phallomycetidae) – a systematic approach using morphology and molecular sequence data. Systematics and Biodiversity 11: 437-465. DOI: 10.1080/14772000.2013.857367