Bibliotheca Mycologica 85: 348 (1981)
Type: Gomphus Pers. 1797
The family and genus limits are not settled (they were a mess). Index Fungorum and Mycobank (and Wikipedia based thereon) do not agree with each other or the papers cited below, so I don't know what other sources or opinions were used. Hibbett et al. (2014) give six families but not all are currently used. What follows is my best interpretation (December 2016).
- Clade 1: Phaeoclavulina
- Clade 2: Ramaria subgenus Echinoramaria plus Clavariadelphaceae (Clavariadelphus) plus Lentariaceae (Beenakia, Kavinia, Lentaria)
- Clade 3: Gomphaceae (Gautieria, Gloeocantharellus, Gomphus, Ramaria, Turbinellus)
- Ramaricium (not sequenced?)
- DNA phylogenies show that Ramaria (Ramariaceae) and other genera are not monophyletic but form various clades among the members of
Gomphaceae.Some Ramaria are external to that
family.Gautieria (Gautieriaceae) is a clade within Ramaria subgenus Ramaria. The Beenakiaceae (1982) and
Kaviniaceae[not published, only mentioned by Hosaka et al. 2006 and the sentence copied verbatim into The Mycota VII chapter 14, Hibbett et al. 2014] together with Lentariaceae (1981) make a monophyletic group. The Phaeoclavulina may become a separate family.
- Related links:
- Giachini, A. J., K. Hosaka, E. Nouhra, J. Spatafora, J. M. Trappe. 2010. Phylogenetic relationships of the Gomphales based on nuc-25S-rDNA, mit-12S-rDNA, and mit-atp6-DNA combined sequences. Fungal Biology 114: 224-234.
- Hibbett, D. S., R. Bauer, M. Binder, A.J. Giachini, K. Hosaka, A. Justo, E. Larsson, K.H. Larsson, J.D. Lawrey, O. Miettinen, L. Nagy, R.H. Nilsson, M. Weiss, and R.G. Thorn. 2014. Agaricomycetes. Pp. 373–429 In: Systematics and Evolution, Second Edition, The Mycota VII Part A. (D. J. McLaughlin and J. W. Spatafora, Eds.), Springer Verlag. [Chapter 14 and complete volume PDF at Hibbett Lab Publications.]
- Hosaka, K. S. T. Bates, R. E. Beever, M. A. Castellano, W. Colgan III, L. S. Domínguez, E. R. Nouhra, J. Geml, A. J. Giachini, S. R. Kenney, N. B. Simpson, J. W. Spatafora, J. M. Trappe. 2006. Molecular phylogenetics of the gomphoid-phalloid fungi with an establishment of the new subclass Phallomycetidae and two new orders. Mycologia 98(6): 949-959
- Tree of Life (2008) ; Wikipedia.
- Taxon links:
- 90623 MycoBank ; Index Fungorum