Proceedings van de Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie van Wetenschappen Section C 74 (1): 28 (1971)
- ≡ Basionym, Sanctioned: Polyporus purpureus Systema Mycologicum 1: 379 (1821) ,
- ≡ Merulioporia purpurea in Bondarcev, Trut. Grib Evrop. Chasti SSSR Kavkaza [Bracket Fungi Europ. U.S.S.R. Caucasus] (Moscow-Leningrad): 595 (1953) ,
- ≡ Gloeoporus purpureus Mycena 6: 36 (2006) ,
- purple waxpore [in Dutch, Danish, Slovak].
- Epithet = purple. Genus = horn-pore.
- annual, resupinate, small and rounded to fusing together up to 5 cm wide. Margin floccose, up to 1 mm wide, pinkish to reddish, same or slightly paler than pore surface. Pore surface even, pink or orange, later dark pinkish red, in herbarium specimens sometimes with violet tints, in old basidiocarps dark reddish brown; pores angular, 4-6 per mm, with thin, entire or uneven walls. Context very thin (0.1 mm), waxy. (Description adapted from Spirin et al. 2016). Microscopic characters: spores allantoid (curved), hyaline, smooth, non-amyloid, 5–8.5 × 2–2.5 µm. Hyphal system monomitic, generative hyphae thin- to moderately thick-walled, with frequent branching, clamps absent.
- Similar species:
- For eastern North America there are several species.
Ceriporia bresadolae grows on conifers; has slightly wider pores; margin is often large, white and contrasting with pores.
Ceriporia punicans has
pore surface even, white or pale pink in fresh condition, orange to pinkish orange when dry, with vinaceous red stains when bruised; spores are shorter.
- White rot on dead hardwoods (moderately or strongly decomposed).
- Spring to fall.
- The species group is widespread in North America. Europe and Asia. Ceriporia purpurea in the strict sense is confirmed for Pennsylvania (Spirin et al. 2016).
- Chicago Region status:
- There is a Harper collection from Miller [Gary], Indiana, 1903.
- See Spirin et al. (2016) for the species segregated out from this group. The species was also transferred to Physisporus, Poria, and Meruliopsis.
- Specimens examined:
- none for Chicago.
- Description links:
- Wikipedia, Ceriporia purpurea.
- Related links:
- Spirin, V., J. Vlasák, B. Rivoire, J. Kout, H. Kotiranta, O. Miettinen. 2016. Studies in the Ceriporia purpurea Group (Polyporales, Basidiomycota), with notes on similar Ceriporia species. Cryptogamie, Mycologie. 37(4): 421–435.
- Records online:
- Mushroom Observer ; MycoPortal
- Taxon links:
- 310824 MycoBank ; Index Fungorum ; Species Fungorum