British Basidiomycetae: A handbook to the larger British fungi: 620 (1922)
Type: Merulius Fr. 1821
The families are discussed in Justo et al. (2017). Many of the genera are shown below. The listed species have been identified for Chicago Region, though names from historic specimens require verification. The phlebioid Punctularia is in the Order Corticiales. Climacodon pulcherrimus has moved to Donkia pulcherrima in the Phanerochaetaceae.
- Ceriporiopsis in the strict sense centered on type species
- Climacodon, C. septentrionalis
- Crustodontia clade, Phlebia uda
- Hydnophlebia, H. chrysorhiza
- Merulius, M. tremellosus
- Mycoacia clade, M. fuscoatra
- Phlebia, P. albida, P. coccineofulva, P. livida, P. radiata, P. rufa
- Rhizochaete, R. filamentosa
Merulius was made a synonym of Phlebia but it seems recently some species might be best kept in Merulius. The type species of Merulius and Meruliaceae is Merulius tremellosus. The type species of Phlebia and Phlebiaceae is Phlebia radiata. Binder et al. (2013) and Justo et al. (2017) use the name Merulius tremellosus because it is not closely related to Phlebia radiata.
The older family name Meruliaceae has priority over Phlebiaceae even though the genus Phlebia has priority over Merulius. Other Phlebia are scattered across the phlebioid clade and it will take more phylogenetic work and consensus to sort out genus names and to group members into natural genera.
- Related links:
- Binder et al. 2013. Phylogenetic and phylogenomic overview of the Polyporales, Mycologia 105(6): 1350-1373.
- Floudas D., D.S. Hibbett. 2015. Revisiting the taxonomy of Phanerochaete (Polyporales, Basidiomycota) using a four gene dataset and extensive ITS sampling. Fungal Biology 119(8): 679-719.
- Justo, A., O. Miettinen, D. Floudas, B. Ortiz-Santana, E. Sjökvist, D. Lindner, K. Nakasone, T. Niemelä, K.-H. Larsson, L. Ryvarden, D.S. Hibbett, A revised family-level classification of the Polyporales (Basidiomycota), Fungal Biology (2017), doi: 10.1016/j.funbio.2017.05.010.
- Taxon links:
- Meruliaceae 89005 MycoBank ; Index Fungorum ; Species Fungorum
- Phanerochaetaceae 80024 MycoBank ; Index Fungorum ; Species Fungorum