Bulletin de la Société Mycologique de France 52 (3): 330 (1937) 
Type: Porostereum phellodendri Pilát 1937 [on Phellodendron, Siberia]
This genus had 3 species in North America according to Ginns (1998). Ryvarden (2010) describes 4 species from Cuba, Mexico, and South America. He equates the type P. phellodendri Pilát with Thelephora spadicea Pers.:Fr. but does not treat it in his book and does not indicate any species existing in USA or Canada. This lends another clue that Porostereum spadiceum may not occur in the USA.
- Chicago Region status:
- Two name changes.
- Porostereum crassum is now Hjortstamia crassa.
- Porostereum spadiceum is excluded from the Chicago Checklist. The name Stereum spadiceum was misapplied by Moffatt (1909) and early collectors to specimens of Stereum gausapatum.
- Porostereum is in the Phanerochaetaceae but some species have synonyms as Lopharia, which some online sources put in the Polyporaceae. Porostereum was listed by Ginns (1998) as belonging in the family Stereaceae; this is its original placement by Pilát. It is interesting that Pilát described a new species, P. phellodendri, from Siberia as the sole member of his new genus in 1936. It was not until 1990 that other species were transferred to the genus. Binder et al. (2013) showed Porostereum spadiceum as closely related to Bjerkandera adusta so it could be placed in Bjerkanderaceae if that family was recognized but Justo et al. (2017) synonymized Bjerkanderaceae with Phanerochaetaceae.
- Related links:
- Binder, M., A. Justo, R. Riley, A. Salamov, F. Lopez-Giraldez, E. Sjökvist, A. Copeland, B. Foster, H. Sun, E. Larsson, K-H. Larsson, J. Townsend, I. V. Grigoriev, and D. S. Hibbett. 2013. Phylogenetic and phylogenomic overview of the Polyporales. Mycologia 105(6): 1350-1373.
- Ginns, J. 1998. Genera of the North American Corticiaceae Sensu Lato. Mycologia 90(1): 1-35.
- Justo, A., O. Miettinen, D. Floudas, B. Ortiz-Santana, E. Sjökvist, D. Lindner, K. K. Nakasone, T. Niemelä, K.-H. Larsson, L. Ryvarden, D.S. Hibbett. 2017. A revised family-level classification of the Polyporales (Basidiomycota), Fungal Biology 121(9): 798-824. Justo Publications.
- Moffatt, W. S. 1909. The Higher Fungi of the Chicago Region: Part I, The Hymenomycetes. Natural History Survey, Bulletin No. VII, Part I. Chicago Academy of Sciences. 156 pp., 24 plates.
- Ryvarden, Leif. 2010. Stereoid fungi of America. Synopsis Fungorum 28.
- Taxon links:
- 18351 MycoBank ; Index Fungorum ; Species Fungorum