Flora plantarum cryptogamarum URSS. Fungi. Familia Hydnaceae 6(2): 194 (1961)
- ≡ Basionym: Hydnum pulcherrimum Hooker's Journal of Botany and Kew Garden Miscellany 1: 235 (1849) ,
- ≡ Creolophus pulcherrimus Mycologia 5 (6): 294 (1913) ,
- ≡ Donkia pulcherrima Bulletin de la Société Mycologique de France 52 (3): 328 (1936) ,
- none. Scientific name means very beautiful ladder teeth.
- Annual. Brackets single or imbricate (overlapping). Upper surface matted hairy, somewhat resembling a Trametes. Underside with teeth. Kuo reports
pink to red reaction of the flesh to KOH.A helpful microscopic feature is the double or triple clamp connections on the hyphae.
- Similar species:
- Hericium cirrhatum is more scaly on cap, lacks double clamps on hyphae. Climacodon septentrionalis is typically in large overlapping clusters on maple. Spongipellis pachyodon has flattened teeth and angular pores.
- Saprobe causing white rot of dead hardwoods, rarely conifers.
- The few Chicago records are early August to middle September.
- Tropical distribution including Japan; France, Spain, Russia. Widespread in eastern U.S.A, plus Arizona and at least one record in Canada. The New York Mycological Society has found it twice from parks in New York City.
- Chicago Region status:
- Rare. Four records from two counties.
- U.S.A. South Carolina, H.W. Ravenel 1648 (no date) [at Kew].
- It was also transfered to Steccherinum (1906) and Dryodon (1934). Moreno et al. (2007) question its placement in Climacodon because of the multiple clamps and apparent absence of cystidia and preliminary molecular work. It may belong in Donkia or near the polyphyletic Phanerochaete, also members of Phanerochaetaceae in the phlebioid clade. The species was not included in the molecular phylogeny of Binder et al 2013.
- Specimens examined:
- Four specimens.
- Description links:
- Michael Kuo
- Related links:
- Moreno et al. 2007. Climacodon pulcherrimus a badly known tropical species, present in Europe. Cryptogamie Mycologie 28(1): 3–11.
- Records online:
- Mushroom Observer ; MycoPortal
- Taxon links:
- 328406 MycoBank ; Index Fungorum ; Species Fungorum
Complete citation for basionym publication: Berkeley MJ, Curtis MA. (1849). Decades of fungi. Decades XXIII and XXIV. North and South Carolina Fungi. Hooker's Journal of Botany and Kew Garden Miscellany 1: 234–9.