Sydowia 49 (1): 72 (1997)
- ≡ Basionym: Hydnum udum Systema Mycologicum 1: 422 (1821) ,
- ≡ Sanctioned: ibid.
- ≡ Acia uda Meddelanden af Societas pro Fauna et Flora Fennica 5: 42 (1879) ,
- ≡ Mycoacia uda Mededelingen van de Nederlandse Mycologische Vereeniging 18-20: 151 (1931) ,
- (Australia: pale-yellow splash tooth ; Czech: Hrotnatečka žlutá ; Danish: citrongul vokspig ; French: Odontie humide ; Polish: Żylak kolczasty)
- Epithet = wet, moist, damp. Genus = veins.
- Thin effused crust with small teeth 1-2 mm long. Color typically yellow to yellowish brown.
distinguished by basidiomata that turn purple, red or brown in KOH, resinous covered hyphal-end cells in the teeth, short, fusiform cystidia, and ellipsoid basidiospores.The spindle-shaped cystidia are not encrusted and the spores are not curved.
- Similar species:
- See the genus Crustodontia page regarding C. chrysocreas. Species of Mycoacia are best separated microscopically. See notes on that genus page and see Nakasone (1997, PDF below) for similar toothed crusts including Mycoacia aurea, M. fuscoatra, and M. nothofagi.
- White rot of dead hardwoods; rarely on conifers, such as fir (Abies).
- Summer and fall. Earlier in the south and west.
- Widespread. Found throughout Europe and much of North America.
- Chicago Region status:
- Rare. Apparently easily overlooked.
A type specimen of H. udum apparently does not exist and a neotype needs to be designated.Nakasone (1997)
- This species has also been combined in Odontia (1897) and Sarcodontia (1961). See the genus Crustodontia page regarding its placement there.
- Specimens examined:
- PRL 12612, found on dead sugar maple, northern Cook County in 2015, was the first specimen identified from Chicago Region. The next two collections in 2016 were from the same spot in McHenry County.
- Description links:
- Roger Philips. ; Electronic Atlas of the Plants of British Columbia. ; Discover Life.
- Related links:
- Karen K. Nakasone. 1997. Studies in Phlebia. Six species with teeth. Sydowia 49(1): 49-79. (PDF)
- Records online:
- Mushroom Observer ; MycoPortal
- Taxon links:
- 437329 MycoBank ; Index Fungorum ; Species Fungorum