in Warnstorf et al., Krypt.-Fl. Brandenburg (Leipzig) 6(1): 167 (1910)
Type: Sparassis Fr. 1819
Sparassis has not been recorded in the Chicago Region. MycoPortal (2017) has one specimen of S. crispa and one observation of S. spathulata in southern Illinois, four records for Indiana of S. spathulata, and two Sparassis collections for Wisconsin. These are the two species in the Midwest and also eastern North America. S. radicata is the species in western North America. Sparassis americana, described by Petersen in 2013, is found in the east and Arizona.
- Sparassis, S. americana, S. crispa, S. radicata, S. spathulata
- Further work is required to decide whether any additional genera belong in this family.
- Related links:
- Justo, A., O. Miettinen, D. Floudas, B. Ortiz-Santana, E. Sjökvist, D. Lindner, K. K. Nakasone, T. Niemelä, K.-H. Larsson, L. Ryvarden, D.S. Hibbett, A revised family-level classification of the Polyporales (Basidiomycota). 2017. Fungal Biology 121(9): 798-824.
- Hughes, K. W., A. Reboredo Segovia, R. H Petersen. 2014. Transatlantic disjunction in fleshy fungi. I. The Sparassis crispa complex. Mycological Progress 13(2): 407-427.
- Kuo, M. 2009 (January). Sparassis spathulata and Sparassis crispa: The eastern cauliflower mushrooms. MushroomExpert.Com Web site.
- Nakasone, K. K. 1984. Taxonomy of Crustoderma (Aphyllophorales, Corticiaceae). Mycologia 76(1): 40-50.
- Taxon links:
- 82019 MycoBank ; Index Fungorum