Neues Magazin für die Botanik 1: 109 (1794)
Type: Hydnum coralloides Scop., Flora carniolica 2: 472, no 1602 (1772)
The correct names and concepts for the American Hericium were straightened out with mating studies by Ginns (1985). Field guides before this time had different concepts for some of the species. We have four species in the Chicago Region and elsewhere in North America. Hericium abietis is an additional American species that occurs in the west.
- Hericium abietis (western North America)
- Hericium americanum (formerly Hericium coralloides name misapplied)
- Hericium cirrhatum (formerly Creolophus cirrhatus)
- Hericium coralloides (formerly Hericium ramosum)
- Hericium erinaceus (misspelled erinaceum)
- See also K. A. Harrison 1973. The genus Hericium in North America. Michigan Botanist 12: 177-194.
- Description links:
- Michael Kuo ; Anna McHugh blog.
- Related links:
- J. Ginns 1985. Hericium in North America: cultural characteristics and mating behavior. Canadian Journal of Botany 63(9): 1551-1563 ; .
- Taxon links:
- 17740 MycoBank ; Index Fungorum ; Species Fungorum