Meddn Soc. Fauna Flora fenn. 6: 11 (1881)
Type: Thelephora frustulata Pers. (1801)
Index Fungorum lists eight species for Xylobolus. Two species are in the Midwest and the Chicago Region. Mushroom Observer has two unconfirmed records of Xylobolus illudens from California.
- Xylobolus frustulatus has a perennial effused crust separated into small
- Xylobolus subpileatus has effused-reflexed structure like a Stereum.
- Xylobolus was recently part of Stereum but differs by having ellipsoid spores, numerous acanthophyses, and distinct pocket rot, which is unknown in Stereum (Ryvarden 2010).
- Related links:
- Ryvarden, Leif. 2010. Stereoid fungi of America. Synopsis Fungorum 28.
- Taxon links:
- 18770 MycoBank ; Index Fungorum ; Species Fungorum