Index Fungorum lists eight species for Xylobolus. Two species are in the Midwest and the Chicago Region. Mushroom Observer has two unconfirmed records of Xylobolus illudens from California.
- Xylobolus frustulatus has a perennial effused crust separated into small
- Xylobolus subpileatus has effused-reflexed structure like a Stereum.
Taxon Details and Links
- Xylobolus Meddn Soc. Fauna Flora fenn. 6: 11 (1881). Type: Thelephora frustulata Pers. (1801). ,
- Xylobolus was recently part of Stereum but differs by having ellipsoid spores, numerous acanthophyses, and distinct pocket rot, which is unknown in Stereum (Ryvarden 2010).
- Ryvarden, Leif. 2010. Stereoid fungi of America. Synopsis Fungorum 28. [sold by NHBS.com]