New Phytologist 211 (1): 22 (2016)
Type: Serendipita P. Roberts 1993
This is a widespread group of plant associates. See Tedersoo & Smith (2013) for discussion of two ectomycorrhizal lineages, which associate with angiosperms and conifers. Vohník et al. (2016) show that some isolates can form ericoid mycorrhizae. See Weiss et al. (2016) for the wide range of associations in this group including liverwort symbionts. Fruitbodies are absent and microscopic characters are limited; strains are isolated and grown in culture.
- Serendipita (includes anamorph genus Piriformospora)
- Weiss et al. (2016):
Members of Sebacinales that lack macroscopically visible fruitbodies. Signature nucleotides of internal transcribed spacer (ITS) and 28S rDNA sequences for this group are given in Oberwinkler et al. (2014).
The huge molecular biodiversity found in this family contrasts sharply with the total of four currently accepted species in this group.
We expect that Serendipitaceae will be split into several monophyletic genera in the future, which presumably will be defined based on sequence data.
- Related links:
- Leho Tedersoo, L., M. E. Smith. 2013. Lineages of ectomycorrhizal fungi revisited: Foraging strategies and novel lineages revealed by sequences from belowground. Fungal Biology Reviews 27: 83-99.
- Oberwinkler, F., K. Riess, R. Bauer, R. Garnica. 2014. Morphology and molecules: the Sebacinales, a case study. Mycological Progress 13: 445.
- Vohník, M., M. Pánek, J. Fehrer, M.-A. Selosse. 2016. Experimental evidence of ericoid mycorrhizal potential within Serendipitaceae (Sebacinales). Mycorrhiza 26(8): 831–846.
- Weiss, M., M.-A. Selosse, K. H. Rexer, A. Urban, and F. Oberwinkler. 2004. Sebacinales: a hitherto overlooked cosm of heterobasidiomycetes with a broad mycorrhizal potential. Mycological Research 108(9):1003-1010.
- Weiss, M., F. Waller, A. Zuccaro, M.-A. Selosse. 2016. Sebacinales – one thousand and one interactions with land plants. New Phytologist. 211(1):20-40.
- Taxon links:
- 809112 MycoBank ; Index Fungorum