Prosyllabus Tracheophytorum, Tentamen systematis plantarum vascularium (Tracheophyta): LXXVII (2001)
This class now contains five orders. X.-Z. Liu et al. (2015) proposed a classification based on the phylogenetic analyses from a seven-genes dataset; this includes seven new families and 18 new genera. Several jelly fungi in the Tremellales are recorded for Chicago. The other four orders not treated further here.
- Cystofilobasidiales (group basal in this class)
- Filobasidiales (Syzygospora in the strict sense)
- Holtermanniales (Holtermanniella is a yeast; Holtermannia in tropics)
- Tremellales (Sirobasidium, Tremella, Phaeotremella, other jelly fungi, yeasts, and collybia jelly Carcinomyces)
- Trichosporonales (some associated with human infections)
- This group will have future taxonomic changes because Tremella and other genera are not monophyletic, and changes to the rules of nomenclature require anamorph and teleomorph genera to be sorted out. Spirin et al. (2017) indicate that in North America, the name Phaeotremella foliacea is retained for the gymnosperm-dwelling species associated with Stereum sanguinolentum, while Phaeotremella frondosa, comb. nov., is associated with other Stereum species (supposedly on hardwoods but wood types not documented for North America, and species only confirmed from British Columbia).
- Related links:
- Liu, X.-Z., Q.-M. Wang, M. Göker, M. Groenewald, A.V. Kachalkin, H.T. Lumbsch, A.M. Millanes, M. Wedin, A.M. Yurkov, T. Boekhout, and F.-Y. Bai. 2015. Towards an integrated phylogenetic classification of the Tremellomycetes Studies in Mycology 81: 85–147..
- McLaughlin, D. J. and J. W. Spatafora, Eds. 2014. Systematics and Evolution, Second Edition, The Mycota VII Part A. Springer Verlag. [complete volume PDF at Hibbett Lab Publications.]
- Spirin, V., V. Malysheva, A. Yurkov,. O. Miettinen, K.-H. Larsson. 2017. Studies in the Phaeotremella foliacea group (Tremellomycetes, Basidiomycota). Mycological Progress (--): 1-16.
- Tree of Life (2008) ; Wikipedia.
- Taxon links:
- 90764 MycoBank ; Index Fungorum